Santa Maria College, Northcote

Santa Maria College, Northcote

Principal:  Ms Joanne Rock

E No.  E1138

Year Levels:  7 to 12

Phone Number:  9488 1600

Email Website

History:

Santa Maria College was first established in 1904 when the Good Samaritan Sisters were invited to Melbourne by Archbishop Carr. The school was first known as Good Samaritan High School, Northcote.

In September 1904, the secondary school began in the servant's quarters of 'Maesbury', a spacious property owned by the Episcopalian Church. This building is still in use today as the ceramics room of the college. There were just two pupils under the care of Sr Mary Aquinas Kelly. In 1905 the sisters moved to South Yarra, purchasing a property in Caroline Street and giving it the name Santa Maria College. The school was noted for its academic success and its tone of refinement and happiness. There was a great love for learning, especially of the arts and music. The little school, which embraced all grades, began to thrive. However, it soon became clear that most students were travelling from the northern suburbs of Melbourne where the Good Samaritan Sisters were in charge of primary schools. It was decided to close South Yarra and to build a new school at Northcote.

On 29 October 1933, the new school was officially opened and staff and pupils moved back across the river. In 1934 the school began with an enrolment of 84 students. The kindergarten and primary sections continued until 1946. By 1948 the enrolment at the college had grown to 200. The current enrolment is 890 students. In 1992 the first lay principal was appointed to the college. While the Sisters of the Good Samaritan no longer take an active role in the day-to-day running of the college, their management is still apparent in their ownership and direction through representation on the college board.

The college has undertaken an extensive building program over the last 40 years. A major phase of this program was the construction of the Polding Centre, a multipurpose hall and gymnasium facility, which was officially opened in 1995. With our Master Plan for future development, a new Library Resource Centre has been constructed and was completed in September 1999. This facility incorporates the latest library, audio-visual and technology resources. New music, drama and home economics areas were completed in April 1999. The next phase of the development plan, including three new science laboratories, two information technology laboratories and media/visual communication facilities, was completed in June 2000.


Description:

Santa Maria is a Catholic secondary college for girls, founded by the Sisters of the Good Samaritan in 1904. Our educational endeavours seek to nurture a search for truth, a spirit of inquiry and love of learning. Because we are a Catholic school, the life and teachings of Jesus energise our community and permeate all that we do.

The parable of the Good Samaritan, with its spirit of love, service and compassion, gives a particular emphasis to the way we live out our Gospel challenge. We strive to build an atmosphere of trust and hope where the individual is accepted, affirmed and encouraged to grow to full potential. Engaging with our surrounding culture, we develop a critical social awareness and a reverence for and responsibility towards all creation. We foster a commitment to the transmission of the Catholic faith and its religious traditions.


Features:

* Comprehensive instrumental music program.
* Many different bands including a symphonic band, stage band, concert band as well as a large choir.
* Extensive extracurricular sport program.

School location

Address:  50 Separation Street
Northcote VIC 3070

Diocese:  Archdiocese of Melbourne

Region:  Northern

Parish:  St Joseph's