St Pius X School, Heidelberg West

St Pius X School, Heidelberg West

Principal:  Mrs Barbara Gomez

E No.  E1178

Year Levels:  P to 6

Phone Number:  9457 3776

Email Website

History:

St Pius X School, Heidelberg West, opened in an army hut in February 1954. The Missionary Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus (MSC Sisters) were in charge of the school from its opening until 1985 when the first lay principal was appointed.
After the Olympic Games in 1956 the school reached its peak enrolment of 1178 students. Over the years the school has reflected the changing face of Australian society with up to 50 per cent of the children coming from other countries, particularly Lebanon and more recently from Asia.


Description:

St Pius X School is a Catholic co-educational primary school with an enrolment of 125 children in seven year levels. The school has a diverse curriculum providing specialist teachers in the areas of Library, Italian, the Arts and Physical Education. We also have Reading Recovery and Special Needs programs. An after-school care program runs from 3.30pm to 6.00pm each day.


Features:

• There is an emphasis on Literacy and Maths with CLaSS (Children’s Literacy Success Strategy) and SINE (Success in Numeracy Education) programs operating.
• Computers are integrated across all areas of the curriculum and at all levels, with the school being involved in e-learning.
• The school has a strong Arts program with a specialist Visual Arts/Performing Arts teacher. Concerts and an instrumental program are part of this program.
• The Physical Education program incorporates a specialist Physical Education teacher, as well as inter-school sports.
• A comprehensive student welfare program exists, with an appointed Student Wellbeing coordinator.
• The school has strong parental involvement.

School location

Address:  431 Waterdale Road
Heidelberg West VIC 3081

Diocese:  Archdiocese of Melbourne

Region:  Eastern

Parish:  St Pius X