St Leonard's School, Glen Waverley

St Leonard's School, Glen Waverley

Principal:  Mr Robert Horwood

E No.  E1217

Year Levels:  P to 6

Phone Number:  9560 8491

Email Website

History:

St Leonard's School was built in 1959 from funds provided by the parish community. At that time both the parish church and the school buildings were made of weatherboard. During the 1960s the school catered for over 1000 children. The administration block was constructed in 1981 and the school was refurbished again out of the community funds. A new Technology Centre was established and officially opened and blessed in September 1998 by the parish priest, Fr Brendan Dillon. During late 2003 and early 2004 with support once more from the parish, building works took place to construct a new multipurpose room, a staffroom area, a meeting room, a new toilet block, undercover walkways, a parents' kitchen, as well as to fully refurbish two junior classrooms. The school's motto, 'All My Life For God', was established in 1959 and truly reflects St Leonard's Christian philosophy. The school undertook major building works in 2010–2011. These works saw the demolition of the administration and all of the classrooms. The rebuild has provided the school with fantastic facilities that will service the parish for generations to come.


Description:

St Leonard's School is a Catholic parish primary school in the Archdiocese of Melbourne, established and maintained specifically to serve St Leonard's Parish faith community. The school is located in the eastern suburb of Glen Waverley at 349 Springvale Road, in the City of Monash. The school is an integral part of the local parish. It looks to develop each student as an individual, as well as build a community of students in society and in the Church family.

The school is situated behind the Church and is adjacent to the Community Centre and Hall. It is comprised of one large two-storey building that houses the administration block, school library, multipurpose room, internal toilets, staff area and 12 state-of-the-art classrooms. A second wing of the school houses a Wellbeing Centre, Italian Room, Music Room and Art Room.

The multipurpose room is used for Before- and After-School Care, music and a variety of classroom activities.

The present enrolment is approximately 287 children in 12 classes. We employ specialist teachers for Italian, Music, Library and Physical Education. The school also employs a Student Services coordinator and seven Support Staff to cater for the needs of those students most in need. They work in conjunction with our Maths Intervention teacher and full time Teaching & Learning Coordinator.
Parent involvement is welcomed and very active throughout the school.



Features:

1. A dedicated, talented staff that regularly participates in ongoing professional development and works together to create a happy, harmonious and industrious school where each child is seen as an unique individual.

2. Large, semi-open-planned classrooms with large breakout spaces and computer pods attached to all rooms.

3. A wonderfully resourced Library and Staff Resource area.

4.State-of-the-art technology across all levels of the school. A combination of fully networked Apple computers, Mac Pro laptops and Chrome books means that the students have a wealth of IT equipment to support their learning.

5. A wellbeing centre comprising five different offices and two large learning spaces that house the large support staff.

6. Rooms for specialist programs – Art, Music, Italian

7. Strong links between parish and school, with involvement in liturgical celebrations, social events and sporting clubs

8. Focus on Visual and Performing Arts with a biennial Concert and Art Show biennial

9. Involvement in interschool sport, annual athletics carnival, swimming and camp programs

10. Secure fencing and well-equipped playground, including an oval, play equipment and sandpits covered by shade cloth and an outdoor learning space

11. Before- and After-School Care program

12. Parent involvement in classroom programs, fundraising, sporting activities, Parents and Friends' Association and Education Board

School location

Address:  349 Springvale Road
Glen Waverley VIC 3150

Diocese:  Archdiocese of Melbourne

Region:  Eastern

Parish:  St Leonard's

Enquiry form