St Stephen's School, Reservoir East

St Stephen's School, Reservoir East

Principal:  Mrs Gemma Goodyear

E No.  E1208

Year Levels:  P to 6

Phone Number:  9460 3566

Email Website

History:

St Stephen's School was opened in Reservoir East in 1958 and grew steadily through the 1960s. St Stephen's was originally to be called St Michael's, to complement the two other schools in the area named after Archangels. However, in 1956, the Hungarian Revolution took place and the authorities at the time decided to name the parish, and eventually the school, St Stephen's, after the first King of Hungary. St Stephen (997–1038) brought Christianity to Hungary and established schools and hospitals for his people.


Description:

The school is set in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. Reservoir is a predominantly residential suburb; many of the streets are tree-lined and there are many recreational facilities in the area. The school is situated in a quiet part of this residential area away from the main streets. The buildings are all interconnected.

The administration block contains the library, staff room and the teacher aide preparation room. The main classroom block has four classrooms, an Art Room and a Computer Lab. It is adjoined to a third block that houses the Literacy Resource Area and two classrooms. We have a large playing area which includes a basketball/netball court as well as an adventure playground and an area under shade sails.

The church of St Stephen is situated in the grounds and is thus easily accessible to both parents and children.


Features:

St Stephen’s is a small school with a current enrolment of 65 students in four class groups. The school community comprises families from a wide variety of cultural backgrounds, with many different nationalities represented. Many of our children attend language schools on Saturdays or at night time. The diversity of cultural backgrounds, religions and occupations broadens the outlook of all members of our community and is responsible for the atmosphere of acceptance which characterises our school.

School location

Address:  71 Whitelaw Street
Reservoir East VIC 3073

Diocese:  Archdiocese of Melbourne

Region:  Northern

Parish:  St Stephen's